Friday, 9 September 2011

Impact in South Africa - Unit 11


Church at Unit 11 - Church, but not in a church.  In an indie club, Unit 11.  I had the privilege of speaking at Unit 11 the first Sunday evening I was in Durban.  It was a first for me.  Church in an Indie Club!  The team had arrived a few hours before the evening kicked off to clear broken glass off the floor, left over from the gig that took place the night before.  The lighting in the club was low, the chairs were scattered around tables to create an informal feel and because I was a guest I got my first drink at the bar free!

After playing  a bit of table tennis with one of the guests, the evening got underway.  After a few testimonies from the Impact weekend we went straight into worship.  A guy called Dan led us on his guitar and God's presence was immediately tangible in the room.  Looking round the room, I noticed that this 'church in an indie club' was reaching people who probably wouldn't think to step foot in a 'typical church'.  I think that's why God was so quick to come.  Worship; in an Indie Club; attracting those who wouldn't normally go to church - now that's a great combination.  Just the kind of place that Jesus loves to be!

I got to share the gospel when the worship came to an end and we had a great time of ministering God's love to people.  I prophesied over a guy who'd been going along to church for a bit but had been struggling with homelessness and feeling hopeless and lost.  God spoke directly into his situation and began to speak about some of the dreams on his heart.  It was so fun to notice the difference in him by the end of the evening as he chatted freely with me and with much passion about his desire to one day be a church pastor.

Let me end with my personal highlight - Before I spoke I brought some words of knowledge for healing.  Towards the end of the worship time, God had spoken to me about someone in the room who had pain in the back of their neck at the top of their spine.  As I brought the word, a lady at the back of the room put her hand up to respond and receive prayer.  It turns out that she'd actually hurt her neck just before her and her husband had come out for the evening.  It had hurt so much that she was debating whether or not to leave the house at all, but they had come and now God had picked her out.  Even more amazing...as I'd started to share the words of knowledge God had given me, she turned to her husband and said, 'if she says someone with a bad neck, then I'll be convinced!'  The next word of knowledge?  Someone with a bad neck!  Needless to say, she was convinced and as it happens, totally healed!  Yay God!

No comments: