Friday, 17 December 2010

A Bitter Sweet Day

For the past 8 years I have been working for the King's Arms church 3 days a week and teaching at an amazing local Upper School - Biddenham - 2 days a week. Over the course of those 8 years I have had responsibility in the church for student work, youth work and now I have the privilege of leading our training for supernatural ministry school - TSM.

Ever since I was offered 3 days a week with the church (in a meeting with Simon and PJ in the Swan hotel one Sunday before an evening service - I remember it well!) my ultimate dream has always been to be full-time; to give up teaching in order to be able to fully commit to what God is calling me to in the church. About 4 months ago this dream began to look more like a reality when the guys said they'd like to offer me an extra days work as of January.

In the past I've really struggled being at school and so the offer of an extra day at church - which would mean being able to stop teaching would have been a very easy decision; 'yes, absolutely, when do I start, can't wait?' However, over the past few years God has really worked in my heart and I have grown to love Biddenham, the kids there, the amazing friends I've made on staff and the general feel of the school. The decision, when the opportunity came, wasn't as easy as I'd expected.

One evening I was hanging out with some good friends of mine and I asked them, as I often like to do, if God was saying anything to them for me at the moment. One girl after a short while said she had the word school come into her head. With intrigue I asked her what she felt God was saying to her about school. Another pause and then the response, 'I think God is saying that your time at school is coming to an end.' Wow God! I asked another question, 'do you get any sense of the timing of that?' 'Christmas' came the reply!

After much prayer and having received further prophetic confirmation that means I know this is the right next step for me I handed my notice in at Biddenham just before the October half term. It was a difficult decision to leave something that I love where there are people that I love, but I know that means my heart is actually in the best place to be moving on. (it seems that God loves to release us into new things when we're grateful for where we are)

I'm so excited about the opportunity to fully commit to what God is calling me to in the church. To have time to develop TSM and to be able to say yes to more ministry adventures. God has been so good to me! Perhaps more than anything I'm grateful for the way that having to wait for this dream to be fulfilled has shaped my character and prepared my heart for 'such a time as this'. To say I'm excited would be an understatement!

No comments: