Sunday, 7 February 2010

'All of my Life is a Mess'

On Friday I was on my way to the hospital (on foot) to catch up with one of our TSM outreach teams looking to see God break in there. I had a 'Message of Jesus' booklet in my back pocket (a leaflet we've produced as a church to communicate the gospel) because of Simon's recent provocation to 'always be ready for God encounters!'

On my way I walked past a young girl walking very slowly listening to her i-pod. As I rushed past her I felt a prompt in my spirit to slow down and chat to her. I kept walking, at a slightly slower pace, and asked God what He wanted to say. I felt He told me that she was worrying about a lot of things; that a member of her family was ill and that He wanted her to know that He was there. So I stopped her to have a chat.

It was surprisingly easy. She was very open and appreciative of my concern. It turned out that none of her family members was ill (we hear in part!), but that she was worried about an awful lot of things. In her own words...'all of my life is a mess.' She opened up about having had her heart broken by a guy recently and also about struggling with self-harm. She talked about how she was feeling depressed and lonely and how she wondered where God was in it all (Who opens up about this kind of stuff with a complete stranger?? God was clearly at work!)

So as we stood on the pavement next to Bedford river with cars driving by, I got to pray for this precious girl and ask God to break in and reveal Himself to her. I got to ask the God of all comfort to bring peace to this precious Daughter He had picked out - what a privilege. We walked together towards the hospital (she was on her way home) and got to chat more about life in general. As we said goodbye, I gave her my 'Message of Jesus' booklet and encouraged her to come and visit us at the King's Arms. I really hope I see her again. How amazing is it that as we're just 'doing life' God is wanting to break in with supernatural encounters. This is the 'normal' Christian life!

No comments: