Saturday, 7 February 2009

What about John the Baptist?

A few weeks ago I wrote my second blog entry entitled Who am I? In it I talked about feeling a check in my spirit when I was singing a fairly common refrain at a recent leaders meeting, 'More of you and less of me.' God had been speaking to me a lot about my identity in Him as His daughter and as royalty and because of that it didn't seem right any more to pray for less of me. Instead I wanted to ask God for more of Him and more of me as He's made me to be.

But what about John the Baptist I hear you cry. He came declaring that Jesus must increase and he must increase. Surely this kind of thinking is Biblical? Bill Johnson's response to this thinking in his book 'Dreaming with God' is just brilliant:

'Look at the context; he (John the Baptist) was passing the baton to Jesus. His job was to prepare the way for the Messiah. It was important for him to be out of the way, as he closed out the Old Testament prophetic ministry. Jesus would bring about the fulfillment of all the prophets had announced and initiate God's manifest dominion on the planet. John the Baptist passed the baton to Jesus, who has passed the baton on to us that we might increase.'

Get your head round that!

2 comments:

Jeremy Penwarden said...

John was the last of the old covenant prophets. Jesus said that the least in the Kingdom of Heaven is greater than John. You're right to say that this does not apply to us in the way normally used.
I think we can modify the saying to 'less of my will, more of Your will' - I want to learn to see what the Father or Holy Spirit are doing and then do only that. To eat only from the Tree of Life, not from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

Keep on challenging conventional thinking that is at odds with the Truth.

Gordon W. said...

Hi Wendy,

Really enjoying your blog, keep up the good work!
We've started stepping out in Treasure Hunts now at Medway Family Church (Kent) and I've been inspired to follow your lead and decided to keep a blog as a testimony of all that God is doing as He manifests His presence on the streets!

The link for the blog is www.thehunt.org.uk

Be blessed!

Gordon W

(ps - I've borrowed your idea for underlining the clues, hope thats ok!!)