Monday, 6 October 2008

Initial Reflections on Dublin

I got back from Dublin in the early hours of this morning. A team of 12 of us had gone to serve Chris and Rachel Vincent as part of a 'Let's Go' team. The purpose of the weekend? To recieve training in treasure hunting and hearing God's voice; to spend lots of time in God's presence; and to do multiple treasure hunts that would connect us with people who might be interesed in joining the church.

God took me on quite a significant personal journey throughout the weekend. I feel like He broke my heart again for the lost and showed me that finding the clues on my treasure map wasn't enough anymore. Let me explain...

We had some incredible times over the weekend of seeing 3 or 4 and sometimes even 5 different clues all coming together to lead us to the treasure we were looking for. How that happens is still mindblowing to me. If we'd arrived at the specified location 30 seconds earlier or 30 seconds later our treasure would have been nowhere to be seen. God puts the right people in the right place at the right time wearing the right clothes and with the right ailments...How He works it out is just wild!

When I first started treasure hunting (and up until quite recently) finding my clues in this remarkable way was what it was all about. The fact that God had spoken to me and I had found my treasure was enough for me - it was so exciting and so fulfilling. This weekend I've realised that simply finding my clues is not enough - the people God leads us to must have an encounter with Jesus. That's what this is all about and anything less just doesn't satisfy me anymore.

I don't say this in a heavy way - treasure hunting is still meant to be loads of fun because we're on an adventure with our Dad. But, what I've learnt over the weekend is that treasure hunting is not about me - finding the clues on my map, but all about the person I meet - how can I leave them having communicated that Jesus loves them and longs for relationship with them?

We had some amazing encounters in Dublin and some frustrating ones and we still have a lot to learn in order to most effectively love people when we meet them. I will be writing about some of the stuff that went on over the next few days. I hope that you continue to find our experiences encouraging and stirring.

No comments: